11/24/2008

Banana Bread

1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
6 ripe broken bananas
4 well beaten eggs
2 1/2 cups flour (sifted 3 times before measuring)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda

Beat shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add bananas and mix. Then add the well beaten eggs. Mix well. With hand, blend slowly and gradually the dry ingredients to the wet, being careful not to over mix. Pour into 2 greased and floured bread pans. Bake on 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then turn out of pan. Cool on rack.

The first time I made this I ended up with white flour chunks in the bread- don't think I stirred it in gradually enough (due to Mikey pouring it in too quickly). But it still tasted fine. It also seems to work better in the mini-loaf pans. That way the edges don't burn and the middle cooks through. This is the recipe my grandma makes and hers is so yummy. I have yet to make mine taste as great. Let me know how it turns out for you.

Acquired by Barbara Newbold

0 comments: